In order to find all the new stuff in JDK8 I wrote a tool called the Java 8 API Explorer.
The Java 8 API Explorer is a single page including all newly added features from the latest Java release. You can search all class files with at least one new member marked via
since 1.8. New files are tagged as
NEW. The indicator on the right side describes how many new members are contained in this file.
Click on any class in the search result to open the detail view for this class file. The detail view contains declarations for all new methods, fields and constructors as well as direct links to the official Javadoc. So you can deep dive right into everything of your interest.
A few statistics.
- 195 new files were added to the JDK8 API (4240 total files now)
- 93 new classes, 89 new interfaces and 13 new enums
- 2699 new methods, 56 new constructors and 49 new fields
- 46 interfaces are marked as functional
- 213 default interface methods
- 68 static interface methods
About making the tool
The project is written in Java 8 and hosted on GitHub. I use Jsoup both for parsing the original Javadoc and creating the single HTML page. It's my favorite tool for working with HTML because the API is very clear and well thought. Selecting elements with Jsoup is straight forward if you're familiar with CSS or JQuery Selectors.